Steps for Applying
1) Review the VLC website, especially the Student Services section. The Planning Tools page found within this contains many useful tips.
2) Applicants should look through the Course Offerings on our site before beginning the application process to ensure they have a list of courses they would like to register for and courses to select as alternates***. Courses designated as compulsory or required for post-secondary entrance should be selected by students in those grade levels.
***We highly recommend students choose alternate courses since all our courses run provided there is sufficient enrolment. Our courses are highly sought after and courses may become full before we receive all your supporting documents. We cannot place students in courses without full documentation.
3) Applicants can then select the REGISTER button on our website and after reading the application instructions carefully, applicants can select 1 to 4 courses for the upcoming semester, along with alternates.
After courses are selected, applicants can enter their personal and educational information. There is a section where applicants can share with us their previous homeschooled studies.
4) After the application has been submitted all applicants will receive a confirmation of the courses they have applied for and a request for further supporting documentation to the email address they provided in the application. Please check your junk mail if you do not receive this email.
5) Applicants must submit all the supporting documents requested in order for the office to process their application to the next step.
Depending on the applicant’s status, the supporting documents may include:
School authorization forms
A copy of the birth certificate
A copy of the Ontario Health Card
An up-to-date transcript
A synopsis of the curriculum covered while receiving instruction at home
A copy of the ‘Letter of Intent to Homeschool’ submitted to your board for the school year you plan on attending the VLC
A copy of the ‘Letter of Intent to Homeschool’ confirmation letter from your local board within the first month of the semester.
6) Once all the supporting documents have been submitted, reviewed and accepted, a request for deposit payment will be emailed to the applicant. The VLC charges a system access deposit of $50 per course for new students, and for returning students who have not maintained continuous enrolment. This deposit will be refunded at the end of the school year (July) upon successful completion of each course.
This is the final step in the registration process. If payment has not been made prior to the start of the semester the applicant will not be placed into courses.
Once payment has been received, the selected courses have been secured. Once the semester begins, the applicant is now a student in our program and will receive an email notifying them their first course has begun. Please note, you will not receive any further emails from the VLC office until the start of the semester.